Skip to content

End Hunger In Calvert County Celebrates Fifteen Years and Welcomes Four New Board Members

May 13, 2024

Huntingtown, MD: End Hunger In Calvert County (EHCC) is celebrating 15 years of serving the local community. In the last 15 years, EHCC has distributed over 16 million pounds of food, provided over 37,000 holiday meals for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and graduated 300 students from job training programs. 

EHCC started operations in a small basement food pantry. Since its beginning, EHCC has supported families in the community through a recession, a government shutdown, and a global pandemic. Today, EHCC is in the final stages of completing a Warehouse that will have the space to serve as a Regional Distribution Center for the Maryland Food Bank, making it possible to distribute food to 52 partner feeding organizations throughout Southern Maryland, increasing access to nutritious foods for families across the region that would otherwise be a challenge for this rural area. (The Warehouse is supported by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development as part of multiple awards totaling $2,998,000 in federal funds. These funds account for 29 percent of the total project, with the other 71 percent financed from non-governmental sources.)

EHCC continues to lead the way in Southern Maryland for inclusive employment. In 2023, EHCC provided culinary training to 12 students with learning differences. In addition to providing a 10-week noncredit program,The Culinary Program continues to support graduates through its Alumni Program. Collectively, Culinary Program graduates completed 540 hours of employment training in 2023. Graduates of the program are strategically matched with hiring partners, and job coaches are available to support their transition into the workforce.

EHCC has recently added four new members to its board, Erin Harrigan, Steve Brien, Ryan Mulholland, and Bonita Barrett, who are committed to continuing the work and mission of the organization. Steve Brien believes in the impact of EHCC on the community. “As a local Realtor, one of the first things I do is introduce my clients to End Hunger In Calvert County by making a financial contribution in their name. I have had clients who have fallen on hard times and needed to use our local food pantry, so I like to introduce them to End Hunger because none of us ever knows what life will bring.” Steve Brien has served End Hunger In Calvert County for the past eight years and will continue to bring awareness about food insecurity in his role on the board.

Looking forward, EHCC will expand upon programming to meet the needs of the Southern Maryland Community. The Warehouse is on track for completion in 2025. The second floor will have a kitchen and classroom space that will support the growth of the Culinary Program and its students as they work towards their goals in employment. The third floor will serve as a resource center for other nonprofit organizations and will have meeting spaces available for community use. The work of EHCC would not be possible without the generosity of donors, volunteers, and partners.

Get Latest News and Updates

Stay updated and get involved with End Hunger In Calvert County by signing up for our newsletter. You’ll receive updates on the Warehouse, the Culinary Program, and the impact of your support. You can change lives, and we want you to know all about it!